Wednesday, November 21, 2007

And You Thought Your Family Was Crazy?

This is another movie based off a book, however, I have not read this book. My bad. Anywho, Running with Scissors is a dark-humored drama about a young boy of about 14 years old who's parents get divorced, mother is INSANE, gets adopted by his mother's psychiatrist (who's family is also off the edge of reality), and is dealing with being homosexual in the '70s. It is original and has very poetic moments of dialogue. Augusten - the main character - is also the narrator and the voice over narration is excerpts from his diary. And though his mother is a fame-obsessed poet (who doesn't really become famous), I wouldn't say that her poetry were the most "poetic moments," in fact I loved simple one-liners that came from each individual character. I suppose if you spliced all those instances you could come up with a kick-ass poem... or a book, much like the one this movie was based on? hm. Jackpot. I have no idea why I am rambling like this. I must sound like a lunatic. Don't worry, the movie isn't contagious. And it might make you rethink trusting in shrinks and taking meds. ENJOY!!!

No comments: